Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More of Our Story

Okay, so we left off at the band trip. A lot of what follows that is a blur to me. Funny how I can remember some things so vividly, and other things I can't remember.

One day that summer, for some unknown reason (must have been fate), I needed something to do. Out of the total blue, I called J and asked her if she would like to go to lunch. Now, you have to remember, she and I were NOT friends; we did not hang out together. Why would I pick her above other people? Somewhere beneath me there must have been a voice telling me to call her. She does not know this (but she will after having read this blog), but I consider this to have been our "first date."

I picked her up at her house. I remember it being a very hot, humid day, as it always is in Houston in the middle of the summer. I still remember her telling me over the phone to come through the gate to the back door. She was there to greet me. We went to Whataburger, which was closer to my house, actually. I can still remember which side of the restaurant we sat on. I have no clue what we talked about, how long the "date" lasted, or how it ended. I don't know if I even called her after that for the rest of the summer. But whenever I think of J (and she doesn't know this), I still think of her as the 17-year-old girl that I drove to lunch one day and probably could not keep my eyes off of.

No comments: